**See Swim Class Details Below Burden March
3rd Annual Burden March
Register Now (Each member must register individually)
*Your Team Name and team members are to be recorded on the back of the whiteboard at Apex. If you are looking for a team there is also a spot to put your name on the back of the whiteboard.
Join our Facebook Event
Sunday, August 28, 2016 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM (EDT)
* CrossFit Apex will be concluding the summer swim WOD season with the CrossFit Apex “Burden March” scheduled for Sunday, August 23rd from 10am-1pm. We expect this unique “race” will be an excellent team building exercise for all Apex members, but especially enticing to our resident adventure racing, geocaching, endurance training fanatics. Each 4-person team should be prepared to trek a challenging distance of approximately 2 miles from Apex to Souderton Community Pool carrying odd objects such as a medicine ball, kettlebell and a weight vest.
CrossFit Apex Burden March
With less than 72 hours until the second-annual CrossFit Apex Burden March, the staff at CF Apex is excited to host what we hope will be another wildly challenging and successful endurance event.
There’s been a fair amount of questions concerning this event. Here are some more specific details, including a general itinerary for the event. Take the time to read, as some specifics may play a part in your team’s strategy.
9:30 am--Apex doors open. Team registration fees/pool waivers/weight scaling/warm-up.
10 am—Team briefing. Discussion of course/rules/scaling/team questions.
10:15 am—Race Start.
10:30 am—Souderton Pool Gate Opens
10:40-ish am—First teams reach pool
11:15—First teams depart the Souderton Pool.
11:50 am—All teams must exit Souderton Pool. The score of any team still swimming will reflect how many laps were completed by 12 pm.
12 pm-1 pm—All teams finish race. Teams are encouraged to hang around and enjoy some “recovery time” at Apex after the race. Feel free to bring your own Adult beverage and snacks.
Each team will have to carry three items throughout the course of the race. They will be a weight vest, med ball and kettlebell.
RX Weights for this event are...
20# med ball
Please note that all weights will be scaled to each non-RX team’s ability level, at the discretion of the Apex trainers. Distances and laps will not be scaled, so each team will complete the entire 5-mile course.
The Marching part of the course is a hilly 2.1 mile trek which will challenge each team.
All teams will…
Turn left out of the Apex lot.
Follow Forman Road until it becomes Lower Road.
Follow Lower Road until making a left at the dead-end at Godshall Road.
Make a right onto West Reliance Road and follow until the pool is on your right.
Please note that all teams must follow the road course. No short cuts are allowed.
We are very lucky that have the support of the Franconia Police Dept. who will provide an escort for the March portion of the race.
The Souderton Community Pool is a 10-lane 25-yard pool so our one-mile swim will consist of 72 laps.
The Competition pool is 5-6 feet deep in the middle and closer to 3-4 on the outsides. We would suggest all teams who consider themselves “more comfortable” in the water stay towards the middle so that teams who are “less comfortable” can be near the edge on the shallower part of the pool.
We will be entering the pool area from the small gate on the Reliance Road end of the pool and will NOT be using the main gate.
There will NOT be any diving during this event all swimmers must enter the water feet first.
Other than the objects we will be carrying, there are some other things that might be necessary.
Apex will provide bottles of water and bananas that will be readily available on the way in and out of the pool area. Any other food items will have to be brought and carried by each team (see below).
Please note, that before the start of the race, each team will be able to pack one duffle bag/ backpack with their team’s swimming equipment (suits, towels, goggles etc.). Those bags will be transported to (and from) the pool, where they will be available when entering for the swim. Please keep the bag light and do not pack valuables (wallets, phones, etc.) as Apex isn’t responsible for lost items.
Goggles-Highly recommended. Everyone is going to be spending considerable time in the water, so goggles are always a good idea.
I (Coach Lou) do have a handful of pairs of “lost-and-found” goggles that I keep in my swim bag. You guys are welcome to use them but I cannot vouch for sizing/style/or functionality of those pairs. First come, first serve at Apex in the morning.
Swim Suits-You will need to wear “proper” swimming attire at the pool. Locker rooms will be open for bathroom breaks/clothes changing, although that probably won’t help your team’s time.
Water bottles/Camelbacks-Carrying water, food bars or other sustenance might be a good idea but will have to be transported by the team. Please note that a participant may not use a back-pack or other device to hold the “challenge items.”
Friends and family are welcome to spectate during tomorrow’s event. Best vantage points would of course be at the start, finish and at the Souderton Pool swimming portion. Teams are welcome (and encouraged) to provide their own lap counters for this event.
Anyone interested in helping with this weekend’s event? We are looking for lap counters and some assistance staff to help transport bags and other items to and from the Souderton Pool. Prospective volunteers can email coach Lou directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, by PM on Facebook or by checking in on the morning of the race.
Teams will be briefed in the morning and questions concerning rules will be fielded.
Here’s a few to get everyone’s wheels turning.
• Before any teammate may take to the pool all four teammates and all three pieces of equipment must be on the pool deck (kb, stone/mb, vest).
• Each teammate must swim at least 10 laps.
• First come, first serve when occupying lanes at the pool. There will be lane lines setup and each team will be required to stay in their team’s lane.
• Equipment must remain off of the ground at all times in order to progress forward either swimming or running/marching. Equipment must be held in a standing position. You may not sit in a squat and rest on your legs or on your feet. You may rest on your shoulders.
CrossFit Apex Swimming
(MindBody website under the "Seminars" tab)
After great success during the last three summers, CrossFit Apex is excited to announce the return of Swimming WODS at the Souderton Community Pool during the summer of 2016.
These workouts, which can be scaled for all levels of swimmer, will run from 11am-12pm every Sunday from June 5th through August 28th (13 weeks).
Workouts will be overseen by Apex trainer Lou Williams who is also a competitive swimming coach for the Souderton Dolphins, Souderton Area Community Aquatic Club (SACAC) and Souderton Area High School (SAHS). Programming will mimic regular CrossFit workouts. Each week swimmers will take part in 20-30 minutes of drills to improve their swimming technique followed by a 20-30 minute scored swimming WOD.
No prior swimming experience or equipment are necessary, however, participants should be able to put their face in the water and complete 25 meters on both their belly and back without touching the bottom of the pool. Goggles are also highly recommended.
All interested members will need to sign up on the Apex site for the Sundays they wish to attend and non-members and drop-ins will fill in any open spaces each week.
There will be a minimum # of participants in order for classes to run.
No prior swimming experience or equipment
are necessary, however, participants should be able to put their face in the
water and complete 25 meters on both their belly and back without touching the
bottom of the pool. Goggles are also highly recommended.
REMINDER - If you have signed up for a slot you
will be charged for that visit even if you do not show. We must reserve the pool
each week based on the number of sign ups to cover the pool costs.
Register NOW through the MindBody website under the "Seminars" tab
Full season and partial season memberships available.
Drop in - $20 Apex Members / $25 non-members
* CrossFit Apex will be concluding the summer swim WOD season with the CrossFit Apex “Burden March” scheduled for Sunday, August 28th from 10am-1pm. We expect this unique “race” will be an excellent team building exercise for all Apex members, but especially enticing to our resident adventure racing, rucking, and endurance training fanatics. Each 4-person team should be prepared to trek a challenging distance of approximately 2 miles from Apex to the Souderton Community Pool carrying odd objects such as a medicine ball, kettlebell and a weight vest. More info on the 2016 edition of the CrossFit Apex “Burden Run” will be distributed as we approach the end of the Summer.